
De Blasio Opens Door to Congestion Pricing; Cuomo Slams It Shut

The de Blasio administration had avoided taking a position on the latest iteration of a congestion pricing plan — until now.
In a letter to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, top de Blasio aide Anthony Shorris said the city is ready to work with the agency on ways to close its $14 billion capital budget gap.
"Right now the stakes are huge for everyone," he wrote Tuesday to MTA chief Tom Prendergast. "Without a funding solution, the MTA will be unable to maintain the system in a state of good repair...A number of options have been raised in recent months — all of which demand financial sacrifice and political leadership. These include: raising money through the MoveNY plan; increasing existing taxes that are dedicated to the MTA; and, increasing state and local jurisdictions' direct financial aid to the MTA capital plan."
It's the most direct comment the administration has made on the plan since taking office. Previously, the mayor had punted when asked, saying he hadn't reviewed it yet.
But his transportation commissioner, Polly Trottenberg, said Shorris's words don't mean the mayor backs MoveNY— it just means everything should be on the table.
"I think the point of the letter is we're saying we're really ready to look at a lot of different options," she said Wednesday.
It's a change the mayor would even consider it. Back when he was a City Council member, de Blasio voted against a similar congestion pricing plan.
MoveNY supporters say the toll revenue could solve the MTA's capital budget problems.
But New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo isn't convinced. Speaking on NY1 earlier Wednesday, he said he was skeptical that the plan would clear Albany — a requirement if it is to be implemented.
"Been there done that...I don't see how it would ever pass." -@NYGovCuomo shoots down congestion pricing after BdB expresses openness to it
— Erin Durkin (@erinmdurkin) July 22, 2015
(It's not the first time Cuomo has dismissed the plan.)
Meanwhile, the MTA's capital budget woes remain unsolved, although Prendergast said talks with Cuomo's office were ongoing and had "intensified" after the end of the legislative session last month.
"Those engaged discussions are leading us to a point that I'm very confident we're going to get funding for an appropriately-sized capital program," he said at the agency's July board meeting.
Amy Spitalnick, a spokeswoman for the mayor, shot back in a statement: "All options must be on the table. But it will take real leadership from Albany to develop a long-term plan that ensures New Yorkers across the state have a transit system on which they can rely."