NYPD Considers New Rules For When It Can Take Away Press Credentials


The NYPD is supposed to issue new rules soon for when it can take away press credentials from journalists. But the department's proposals drew criticism at a public hearing on Tuesday.

The NYPD issues the passes that allow reporters and photojournalists to cross police and fire lines, and cover official press conferences. But police officers have broad discretion to confiscate those passes on the spot, and reporters don't have much recourse to challenge those decisions.

The new proposed rules stem from a 2015 lawsuit by a freelance Gothamist photographer, who now supports the changes. They codify previously unwritten reasons that a press pass might be suspended or revoked. But during an online public hearing, some, like photojournalist Stephanie Keith, argued the NYPD shouldn't be allowed to confiscate press credentials on the spot at all.

"It is guided by an emotional response by the police officer, rather than a clear-headed response that could come when not in a volatile moment," Keith said.

Others argued that another city agency should take charge of issuing credentials to reporters. But photographer J.B. Nicholas, whose lawsuit spurred the changes, said the new rules are an improvement, because they clarify previously unwritten guidelines for when journalists' passes can be taken away and how they can get them back.

"This pins the cops down to specific, defined rules that are published, and not secret, and everyone can know and understand," Nicholas said.

The NYPD must review the testimony and any suggestions before issuing the final rule.