Police Are Investigating Brooklyn's Second Mass Shooting in Three Months

Police tape marked out the area outside 74 Utica Avenue, which police say housed illegal gambling at the time of Saturday's shooting.

New York City police investigators are still trying to piece together what unfolded at 74 Utica Avenue on Saturday morning. They say gunfire erupted just before seven, killing four people and injuring three others in a small area of the first floor that hosted illegal gambling activities. 

The four killed were all residents of Brooklyn, according to police. Their names were Terence Bishop, age 36; Dominick Wimbush, age 47; Chester Goode, age 37; and John Thomas, age 32. 

Eric Adams, the Brooklyn borough president, said he and other community leaders planned a vigil for the victims on Monday night. 

"We must be vigilant in identifying illegal social clubs and addressing the over-proliferation of handguns in our country," Adams said in a phone interview. "We sometimes put the real crisis of handguns to the back burners and just deal with the AK-47's and assault rifles, when in fact the real crisis that we're facing lies in the handgun."

The NYPD's Chief of Detectives, Dermot Shea, said Saturday that so far police have recovered a 9 millimeter handgun and a revolver from the scene. 

The shooting in Crown Heights is the second mass shooting in Brooklyn in less than three months. In July, a shooting at a popular music festival in Brownsville left one person dead and injured twelve others. Adams said the vigil planned for Monday would draw attention to the "pervasive double-standard" around mass shooting incidents. 

"We find far too often when mass shootings occur in communities of color or impoverished areas we are more reluctant to classify it as such," Adams said. "Four or more people that are shot should be treated as such so that the necessary resources can go into the community."

On Sunday, more than 24 hours after the shooting, police tape marked off a portion of the sidewalk while two uniformed police officers stood watch out front. 

"It's really sad, and my heart really goes out to the family of the loved ones," said Sharon Davis, who lives two doors down from the site of the shooting.

She said she was not aware that the house might be a spot for illegal gambling. She said she keeps to herself, and had left for work on Saturday morning before the shooting happened. She has lived on the block for more than 30 years and the violence surprised her, she said. 

"It happens anywhere, but when it happens right at your door it's a different feeling," Davis said. "And I never experienced something like this."

Another neighbor, Carl Todd does not live in the neighborhood but owns Kwikees Cuisine, a Jamaican eatery next  door. The restaurant did not have anything to do with the shooting itself, but was within the area blocked off by police, so he has remained closed for two days. 

"All they said is, 'You can't open right now because this is considered a crime scene,'" Todd says. 

He hopes to re-open on Monday and to get help from the city in recouping lost earnings while the restaurant was closed.  

Another passerby, Shawn Smith, said he wasn't surprised by the violence. He used to live on the block, and now lives around the corner. 

"This is what happens all the time when you have something like that — a gambling spot," Smith said.

When asked if illegal gambling spots were widespread in Brooklyn, he raised his eyebrows. 

"All over Brooklyn," he said. "Flatbush, everywhere. But other places is more secure. They wasn't searching nobody going in here."