Council Renews Call for 1,000 More Officers

NYPD graduation at Madison Square Garden - December 29, 2014

When the New York City Council delivers its response to Mayor Bill de Blasio's preliminary budget Tuesday, it will once again include proposed funding for one thousand more police officers – including 350 for a counter terrorism unit.

It's the second year in row the council is calling for the NYPD funding, which was not included in the mayor's preliminary budget proposal.

"In order for NYPD to continue to keep New Yorkers safe while also implementing new reforms and initiatives we need to increase the overall headcount of the department," said Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito.

The NYPD has shrunk by nearly 6,000 officers since 2001. The expansion would cost $69 million in the first year and grow to $95 million in fiscal 2017. Right now, the department relies heavily on overtime which is already projected to be $89 million higher this year than the last.

The council's proposal also calls on the NYPD to implement a plan to reduce overtime by $50 million.

Councilmember Vanessa Gibson who chairs the committee on public safety said the council's response to the mayor's preliminary budget recognizes the importance of "addressing overtime control in the New York Police Department and focusing on raising the headcount of uniformed officers."

But so far, the mayor has signaled he has no interest in expanding the size of the NYPD. Asked at recent press event at Gracie Mansion whether the arrest of two women from Queens on terrorism charges was a sign that the department needed more officers, de Blasio suggested the contrary.

"I think the fact that our police force has once again performed so well is an indication of how good it is in its current state," said de Blasio.

A final budget agreement is due by July 1st.