
Cuomo Promises Special Prosecutor "Soon"
Governor Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday he was prepared to sign an executive order that afternoon naming Attorney General Eric Schneiderman the special prosecutor who would handle cases involving civilian deaths in police custody.
"A special prosecutor will kick in for cases where a law enforcement officer, in the conduct of their duty, kills an unarmed person," said Cuomo, "or a person where there's a significant question if the person was armed and dangerous."
He said the order, which would be in effect for one year, would make New York the first state to recognize there is mistrust between some communities and local law enforcement. A neutral special prosecutor, he added, would remove any perception that a probe is unfair.
Schneiderman had requested the power to investigate deaths at the hands of police last year.
But the families of some people killed by police said the executive order doesn't go far enough. Gwen Carr, the mother of Eric Garner, said she wants the governor to make the special prosecutor permanent.
"If we had a special prosecutor at the time of my son's death, I think it would have made a tremendous difference," said Carr. "Now, we're asking for a special prosecutor for other families."
Garner died last year after being placed in a chokehold. A Staten Island grand jury declined to indict the officer involved.
Meanwhile, the city's largest police union issued a statement of opposition to the idea of a special prosecutor.
By late Tuesday afternoon, Cuomo still had not signed off on the order. The governor's spokeswoman, Melissa DeRosa, said he met with the families, and had a productive meeting.
Cuomo, she said, "looks forward to continuing the conversation. We are in the process of finalizing the Executive Order and the Governor looks forward to signing it soon.”



